Friday, January 21, 2011

Evangelization?

Some of my FB friends & I just had a conversation about how the phenomenon of blogging has affected life in general. One of them ran across a blog that referenced the bloggers 'addiction' to Mormon mommy blogs. The blogger in question is a self-proclaimed atheist liberated woman. My friends & I are somewhat envious of the attention the Mormon mommy blogs get. According to the aforementioned blogger, many of her like-minded friends are impressed by the Mormon mommy blogs depiction of motherhood as fun, easy, and enjoyable. She also noted that the Mormons seem to value family over all else.

I'm not knocking the Mormons at all, but I'm saddened by the fact that Catholic values aren't as accepted in the main-stream. We have 'Catholics' (in name only) that go completely against the Church's position on abortion, homosexual activity, birth control, etc. When a good Catholic stands up for the Church, we're knocked down & told that we're stuck in ancient times & need to get with the program. We're labeled as hypocritical, judgmental, and cold-hearted. The Catholic Church is attacked it seems almost daily in one form or another. Most TV shows eventually have anti-Catholic sentiments if not outright blasphemous episodes. Our pope is laughed about, our ceremonies are secularized, our beautiful history is covered by the slightest scandal, etc.

I proposed to my friends on FB that we should start our own network of Catholic mommy blogs. Afterall, we have a strict family & sanctity of life moral code written into our Faith. Many of my FB friends are the not-so-common stay-at-home mom's with more than 2.5 children (I think our highest child bearer has 10+). We aren't entirely main-stream, but we enjoy a good drink, a good laugh, and sharing 'war' stories with each other. Most of us in one way or another have embraced the 'greener' side of life - whether through our eating habits, family planning (as in Natural), household items, baby-wearing, recycling, and generally good stewardship as preferred by our Faith. We don't always agree with one another, but we support each other in our everyday struggles to be the best women, wives, mothers, daughters, stewards, AND Catholics that we possibly can. We lift one another up in prayer. We commiserate in parenting 'failures'.

With this as my jumping point, I've decided to try to have at least one Catholic-based post per week. I may not make it & it may not be obvious, but I'm going to try. I've kept most of my posts fairly ecumenical so far (I think), but maybe I'll let my true Faith shine through. Perhaps it'll effect a change in my outlook as well as yours! Good luck & God bless!

No comments:

Total Pageviews

Smiling already at 2 weeks

Smiling already at 2 weeks
Rachel has been smiling as a response to other people since day one.

And two shall become one...

And two shall become one...
In 2006, Andrew & I became one before God and family! Shortly thereafter we became 3 with the birth of Simon in 2008... Then 4 with the addition of Rachel in 2009!

Erika's Miracle Journey Continues's Fan Box